When you tackle a 95-year-old home for a kitchen update, there are lots of things to look out for. Walls out of plumb, floor out of level, "pinch-point" doorways that open into each other, and an architectural style that, well, in this case, had the super small kitchen closed off from the dining room and literally divided in two!
The first order of business was to redesign the space without the wall separating the kitchen from the dining room. Once we were clear of that obstacle, the rest was a matter of blending the existing architecture, ceiling, trim, and flooring with new surfaces that enhanced the space without giving away its historic charm.
Design/Build Consultant — Courtney Cartee
Project Manager — Paul Brandt
Lead Carpenter — Ryan Whalen
Photography — Alyssa Lee
“The homeowner was very specific about getting rid of the popcorn ceiling texture," recalls Murphy Bros. lead designer Courtney Cartee.
"We replaced it with a flat look that would have been original to the homes of this age & doesn’t hold on to cobwebs or dust. The window on the back of the house was removed & two smaller windows were installed on the wall instead to make room for a proper range hood that was vented to the exterior. The radiator on this wall was also removed & a new hydronic kick-plate heater was put in its place below the new cooktop.”
All new appliances were specified, and, like so many remodels in the 2020-22 time frame, long wait times were to be expected. However, this one takes the cake. 49 weeks to get their Bosch double ovens was a bit much, especially when you consider the designer on the project, Courtney Cartee, conceived and had her first baby before those appliances arrived!
- Countertops: Vicostone, (Misterio, BQ8815)
- Backsplash: Equ Country – 3x8 in Blanco tile
- Cabinets: Paint grade full overlay, Shaker door stye, hidden hinge w/ soft close
- Cabinet Interior: Maple Melamine
- Drawer Glides: full extension, soft close
- Drawer Box: Dovetail, solid hardwood
- Faucet: Delta Leland Pull-Down Faucet with Magnetic Docking Spray Head and ShieldSpray, 9178-SP-DST
- Sink: Kohler Vault 33" Double Basin Under-Mount Stainless Steel Sink w/ Smart Divide, K-3839
- Refrigerator: Bosch 36" Counter-Depth 3-Door Refrigerator, 800 Series -Stainless Steel
- Cooktop: Bosch 36" Induction Cooktop, Benchmark" Series-Black NITP669UC
- Hood: Vent-A-Hood Wall Mounted Liner Insert, BH134SLD
- Wall Ovens: Bosch 30" Microwave Combination Oven, 800 Series-Stainless Steel HBL87M53UC
- Dishwasher: Bosch 24" Bar Handle Dishwasher, 800 Series -Stainless Steel SHXM88Z75N
- Select White Oak toothed-in to match existing floor stain.
- 5 new LED recessed can lights
- New LED undercabinet lighting
- 2 new pendant lights above the sink
- Windows — Marvin Elevate casements
- Windows & window casing in the kitchen & dining room — Benjamin Moore White Dove -OC1