Most people remodel to gain much needed space or for long-ignored aesthetics. In the case of this family, the scope included those traditional pain points as well as the special mobility needs of an aging grandmother.
The core of the project involved tearing down an existing 3-season porch and adding a 10 x 22 4-season porch in its place. This new structure solved the dining area problem and gave them a much-needed mud room space to boot (no pun intended).
The homeowner’s aging parent had difficulty moving through the narrow doorways to and from the kitchen while using her walker. We solved that problem by enlarging those access points and eliminating any thresholds between rooms to make travel even safer for mom.
We also re-sided the home and finished up the project with new front and back doors.
Design/Build Consultant — David Long
Lead Carpenter — Ivan Sass
Carpenter — Chris Gilbertson
Photography — Alyssa Lee
The kitchen expansion also added approximately 5 feet of room in the adjacent bedroom. The new space was used for expanded closet space. The reconfiguration of the kitchen also allowed us to close off a narrow doorway from the kitchen to the adjacent bedroom.
- KITCHEN CABINETS: Shaker, Iconic Series, Shaw, Maple
- CABINET PAINT: London Fog finish
- KITCHEN COUNTERTOPS: Hanstone Tofino
- KITCHEN TILE BACKSPLASH: Genrose: Roxy, Zircon, 1X3 curved mosaic
- KITCHEN SINK: Ruvati RVH8351 stainless undermount 33" double bowl
- FLOORING: Mirage Quartziti MIRQR03NAT 12 x24 porcelain
- APPLIANCES: Refrigerator & Range — Bosch; Dishwasher drawer — Fisher & Paykel
- WINDOWS: Marvin Elevate casements
- PAINT: Kitchen walls & Mudroom — SW Collonade Gray 7641
- SIDING: LP primed siding and trim boards