Sometimes the reason for a remodel seems to defy logic or common sense. “When I first met with this young couple who purchased the home from a larger family, I looked at their beautiful cherry kitchen cabinets and wondered why change it,” recalled Nadia Glynn, Murphy Bros. design/build consultant
“It’s a good reminder that ugly oak or insufficient storage aren’t the only reasons for a remodel, “ explains Glynn, “You’ve got to look at lifestyle too, and the functionality that follows what people really care about.”
“In this case, it was about the couple’s desire for a more functional kitchen that worked better for two people instead of 4 and featured the view, which is spectacular,” says Glynn.
Murphy Bros. removed the existing cabinets, which were repurposed
in the garage and changed the color scheme to a more earthy tone. We removed the cooktop from the island,
changed out the countertops, repositioned refrigerator for improved functionality, and moved the sink to take advantage of the
view. We also hid some unsightly mechanicals behind the essential coffee bar.
Project Manager — Noah Martin
Lead Carpenter — Cody Schultz
Carpenter — Mark Arntzen
Field Painters — Rick Dame & Molly Stowe
Photography — Alyssa Lee
We re-shaded their floors to match their new cabinet color scheme and added several lighting fixtures to complete the transformation in the kitchen. A built-in custom bookcase, was also added to the living room to round out the form and function equation.
“We also added a mudroom area where they could shake off the weather and give their hunting dog in training more footwear to experiment with,” noted Glynn. “I really like how that turned out.”
- Backsplash — Tile: 3D Diamond in grey/clay color
- Cabinets — Custom full overlay door with white melamine interiors, full extension, soft closed drawers, full extension pull outs in base cabinets
- Countertops — Cambria New Quay
- Flooring — Sand, stain Pastel Grey mix and finish wood floor with three coats of polyurethane (two coats oil based, and one coat Infinity II waterborne satin)
- Sunroom — Supply and install 3" X ¾" Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba), Sand, stain Pastel Grey mix and finish wood floor with three coats of polyurethane (two coats oil based, and one coat Infinity)
- Island color — H/F Sultry Castle 0562; perimeter cabinet color – Valspar Dark Walnut