It all started with the refrigerator that couldn't be opened without banging against the wall. It's little things like that drive us all crazy a little bit at a time, until...we end up with a new, highly functional kitchen that brings us to happy tears. Such is the journey of this homeowner's short video from a host of dysfunctional annoyances to a daily head shake followed by the words, "I can't believe this is my kitchen!"
Project Manager — Drew Johnston
Lead Carpenter — Ryan Whalen
Photography — Alyssa Lee
We weren't kidding when we said the refrigerator wouldn't fit. It happens when new appliances are shoe-horned into old layouts. In this case, there were more problems to solve, but that started the ball rolling. Once you decide the priorities of problems to solve, the design can then begin to take shape. This homeowner wanted more space to serve her guests the latest culinary delights. The atmosphere was important, however, a dark, cramped kitchen just didn't work. Besides, this family had a lot to look forward and outward to, being situated on a body of water with a great view.
It's all in this short video featuring the lead design/build consultant and the homeowner she collaborated with to bring this project into being.
As you can see from these 2 floor plans, existing and proposed, eliminating the peninsula created the necessary space for the additional islands.
Existing conditions included: dated oak, small island, dysfunctional fridge location, small dining room table to entertain and serve larger groups, cramped traffic flow.
Along with a new double oven, cooktop, and farm sink, this homeowner also wanted a pop-up mixing station for all her baking projects and a double oven set at just her height.
- Custom, paint grade
- Door style: 2 ¾'" flat panel door with inside bevel edge detail and soft close hinges.
- Drawer Face Style: Drawer fronts less than 9” are flat slab with matching outside edge profile. Drawer fronts greater than 9'" match the door style.
- Drawer Box: Vionaro drawers with under mount soft close full extension slides.
- Finish: Opaque conversion varnish on approved finish.
- White Perimeter cabinets & Deep Navy Island cabinets
- Face Frame: Full overlay face frame construction.
- Hardware: Amerock, Style: Blackrock
Kitchen Countertops Permitter:
- Manufacturer/Supplier: Cambria
- Color: Carrick
- Edge Profile: 1/8" bevel
- Corner Radius: ½" radius
- Color: Matte Black
Kitchen Countertops lsland(s)
- Manufacturer: Silstone
- Color: Pietra - gloss
- Edge Profile: 1/8" bevel
- Corner Radius: ½"
- Thickness: 3cm
- GLO – subway Tender Grey; 1/3 horizontal off-set layout; herringbone over Cooktop
- ½" pre-finished engineered hardwood (kitchen, bathroom, hall & entry)