As it often is with smaller story and a half Minneapolis homes, large multi-use space is hard to come by. But that’s exactly what this high intensity career couple wanted and got in this extensive basement remodel.
“I think they had wanted to do something for many, many years, but the timing was never quite right,” recalls Murphy Bros. design/build consultant Nadia Glynn. “For most people, the basement is where all the junk goes that you don’t want to look at, so it’s a challenge to see that space for what it could be.”
Design/Build Lead — Nadia Glynn
Photography — Alyssa Lee
The plan called for upgrading the laundry/mechanical area, creating a luxury bath, a coffee bar and a large multi-function area for exercise and TV entertainment. “The running joke on the enormous TV was that they’ll be able to keep their summer tans from the glow,” Glynn recalled and added, "If you think their TV is big you should see their shower!"
“Every remodel needs to achieve a higher goal—something that makes all the effort personally worthwhile. For them it was creating this retreat where they could both spend their time recharging and relaxing—whether that’s watching sports, yoga or freshly ground Jamaican Blue Mountain dark roast.
- Shower tile accent: decorative mosaic Dockside Stria (natural grey custom grout)
- Shower pan: “Clay Grafito” 12x12 mosaic
- Shower field tile: “Imperial Blanco”
- Shower niches: Edged in chrome trim
- Hansgrohe Hand Held Shower with Brizo Thermostatic Valve Trim
- Kohler Slide Bar in polished chrome
- Kohler Vessel Style
- Countertops: Silestone “Iconic White”
- Kohler Two Piece Toilet
- Delta Faucet Grab Bar
- Brizo Single Hole Bar Faucet
- Elkay Undermount Bar Sink
- Countertops: Silestone “Eternal Serena”
- Delta Faucet Laundry Faucet
- Mustee & Sons Laundry Sink